I can honestly say I love my life. I'm not perfect nor is my life, but it's good for me. So I own a small business. It's definitely a glamorous idea, and I am fortunate to experience many of its perks. It doesn't surprise me that I work for myself. Looking back on my past, I can see inclinations in my personality that seemed to crave owning a small business. When I was in elementary school I made book mark out of contact paper; after another girl said she'd pay for one, I made a whole lot of them and sold them to friends. I seemed to always be thinking of how I could create a product to sell. In college I took meticulous notes in my classes and sold them to my classmates before midterms and finals. (errr... maybe I wasn't an entrepreneur. maybe I just wanted to make money off people. oops!)
Either way owning is both wonderful and difficult.
- I make my own hours. I love that I can work whenever and wherever I want.
- I have no boss. I am my own boss!
- I have the freedom and time to travel.
- I get to go out on weekdays when the sun is out and stores/restaurants/museums are less crowded.
- I have great clients that I get to interact with personally.
- I created a way of income that makes me constantly happy.
- I do what I want and don't do what I don't want.
- I feel so fulfilled. I experience the direct result of hard work.
- Waking up everyday knowing I can do whatever I want.
- I get to sit in my pajamas all day.
- I work everyday. I work 60-80 hours a week. I do love what I do, though. So I'd trade a 9-5 at a job I disliked for my life now.
- I have no co-workers. It's been difficult to make friends and be social when you work by yourself, but I've collected a solid (and amazing/wonderful/super) group of friends in the photography/wedding industry that are better than any coworkers I could imagine.
- Sometimes there is no time to travel. Sometimes clients and deadlines constrict my schedule. Still, I'm blessed for the opportunities I've had.
- I don't always get to spend time with friends on weeknights or weekends because I'm working or meeting with clients on those days. Thankfully my friends still love me.
- Every blue moon I have a mean client. But really, one great client (and most all my clients are awesome) makes the mean client completely bearable.
- Working for yourself is unstable and a big investment. That's when savings and budgeting and friends who need second shooters is awesome.
- Sometimes there's no work. But that's usually reason for a vacation! woot!
- I sit in my pajamas all day. woops. (Today I'm wearing a fleece adult onesie, but that's just between you and me.)
I started this business because I wanted to make a living doing something I loved. If you're thinking of starting your own business and have any questions, feel free to contact me. I don't know a lot, but I know some stuff. And I think if you're willing to work hard and do a little sacrificing, owning your own business can be a very rewarding life for you. I wouldn't trade this life for anything.